Keeping the house tidy is a promise that we all make to ourselves but find it hard to keep. Often everything we say we will do when we get home from a big day doesn’t get done as we’re too tired to bother.
The daily struggle of life means that a lot of stuff gets discarded, dumped and spilt around our homes faster than we can clean it. Luckily there are a few strategies you can employ to work smarter and not harder at keeping your house clean.
Let’s take a look at some of the simple daily jobs you can do in each room to keep the house clean and tidy.
The bedroom is the first and last part of your house you experience each day so naturally this is where to start your cleaning.
- Make your bed as soon as you get out of it. This will make you feel immediately productive and will make it harder for you to jump back into bed.
- Wipe down your bedside table each morning so it doesn’t accumulate dirt.
- Keep a throwaway basked near your wardrobe so you can quickly toss out the stuff that you never put on and never will.
- When you get undressed, hang clothes that can be worn again instead of leaving them on the floor or on a chair.
- Throw dirty clothes into your washing hamper as soon as you get undressed so that they don’t get confused with clean ones.
The bathroom can quickly become one of the dirtiest places in your house and for obvious reasons. Make sure you clean things as often as you can so they don’t build up with gunk.
- Give the shower a quick rub down with cleaner after every use
- Make sure that towels are hung up on hook or over the shower door so that they dry properly
- Keep a laundry hamper in the bathroom for your old towels so they don’t get used over and over
- When you get home at night, clean the countertops of the stuff you used in the morning
- Use the time that you spend brushing your teeth to let a toilet cleaner do its job
Kitchens get messy very quickly. If you don’t clean and put things away as you go the mess can get overwhelming.
- Empty the dishwasher each morning as your coffee brews
- Clean spills as soon as they happen. Don’t let them set in and become tougher to clean.
- Swap your dish towel regularly so you don’t spread bacteria.
- Clean plates, cutlery, utensils and cooking equipment as quickly as possible so stains don’t set in
- Put the dishwasher on each night so that plates are being washed every day
- Wipe down countertops and cooking surfaces routinely
Above all, be proactive
These 3 rooms are the main areas where being a proactive cleaner will save you a lot of grief on the weekends. By doing some simple cleaning every day you can spend more of the weekend relaxing instead of catching up on chores.